Thursday, December 22, 2005

Classroom Capers: UK Style

She said that kissing her female teacher in front of the class was a prank. But the school took a dim view of the shenanigans:
Robyn Aoslin has been banned from Collegiate High School after an alleged "serious incident".

Today, the 15-year-old's parents told The Gazette the kiss was harmless and the school had blown it out of proportion.

But school chiefs, who have now launched an investigation, today insisted the incident was "inappropriate" and "not acceptable".

Robyn's mum Jacqueline Cardwell, of Forshaw Avenue, Grange Park, said: "Robyn came home from school as usual last Tuesday and didn't mention anything. If she knows she might be in trouble, she usually tells me.

"But the first we knew was a phone call later that afternoon when the school told me she was suspended.

"In the letter, it said they were investigating an alleged assault on a female teacher.

"I couldn't believe it. It seemed ridiculous, I thought they were joking. Robyn had been messing around doing dares with the others in the class and her dare was to kiss the teacher on the cheek.

"She went up to the teacher, put her arm round her and kissed her on the cheek. She didn't use any force or anything and now she is being accused of a serious assault.
"I think it's right that Robyn should be punished because she was messing around in class. But to talk about it being assault seems way over the top.

"It's a really important year for her so I am concerned how being excluded will affect her."

Robyn said: "I really don't want to have to leave school. I wasn't even allowed in to get my work and my books. The teacher laughed it off at the time."
From what I gather, there wasn't even any mistletoe hanging in the classroom.

On a serious note, I can see that our transatlantic cousins are also having trouble keeping kids focused on instruction.
-----------------------------
View our latest posts right here.