The Website Of The Day
Here is a handy field guide to 117 different types of behavioral models that students often display in the classroom. From their entry on cliques:
Behavior: Specific attitudes and actions of this child at home and/or at school.Interestingly, this entry on cliques is also applicable to the adults who work at many schools. (Including ours.)
1. A small group of students who are together continuously.
2. Dominate others by treating them as inferior.
3. Ignore other students.
4. Desire special treatment and privileges.
5. Defend their group unswervingly.
6. Usually argumentative and cause class discord.
7. Show disrespect.
8. Laugh at and make fun of others.
9. Totally exclusive.
The site has some good diagnostic categories, but since it is a subsidiary of The Master Teacher publishing company, they want you to buy their text You Can Handle Them All, which contains recommended solutions to the situations. Nevertheless, I think that there is some material on the site that may be of use, especially to newer teachers.