Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Grammatically Correct

Darren, over at Right on the Left Coast, reports that good grammar is in vogue once again:
Today the major Sacramento newspaper ran an article entitled It's Hip To Be Grammatically Correct, and my heart soared. Two books about grammar were mentioned in the article--and I've read them both. Recently. Personally, I thought Eats, Shoots and Leaves was, how shall I put it nicely, not so good, but Woe Is I was extremely well-written.
How times have changed.

I well remember an incident in 1995 when some visiting officials from the California Department of Education "reported" to both district and state that a colleague of mine was "caught" teaching grammar rules to his 7th grade (G.A.T.E.) Language Arts class.

It was during the height of the "Whole Language" craze.
Submissions for The Carnival Of Education are due by 10:00 PM (Eastern) tonight. Get entry instructions here. See our latest posts, over there.