Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Grammatically Correct

Darren, over at Right on the Left Coast, reports that good grammar is in vogue once again:
Today the major Sacramento newspaper ran an article entitled It's Hip To Be Grammatically Correct, and my heart soared. Two books about grammar were mentioned in the article--and I've read them both. Recently. Personally, I thought Eats, Shoots and Leaves was, how shall I put it nicely, not so good, but Woe Is I was extremely well-written.
How times have changed.

I well remember an incident in 1995 when some visiting officials from the California Department of Education "reported" to both district and state that a colleague of mine was "caught" teaching grammar rules to his 7th grade (G.A.T.E.) Language Arts class.

It was during the height of the "Whole Language" craze.
---------------------------
Submissions for The Carnival Of Education are due by 10:00 PM (Eastern) tonight. Get entry instructions here. See our latest posts, over there.