Friday, December 16, 2005

An Encouraging Sign?

I was surprised to learn that in Boston, high school students actually want more weapons searches at their schools' front doors. And then I saw the reason why the kids are this concerned:
Too often when a metal detector beeps, students say, they are ushered through without further searches. They report seeing knives dropped during class or accidentally pulled out in the cafeteria by peers who reach into pockets for lunch money. Some of the student leaders said they also believe every school should have a metal detector, considering that the Roxbury alternative high school where a shot was fired last Monday did not use one.
If I were the parent of a child that was attending one of these schools, I would recruit me a few other like-minded parents and be at the next meeting of the governing board.

Via: Edweek's
In Other News
----------------------------
See our latest posts right here.