Thursday, April 14, 2005

I Wish That I Had Known About This...

The Arizona Republic is telling us that students around the country signed pledges to remain mute while at school yesterday:
Students from more than 4,000 schools signed up for the 10th-annual National Day of Silence, organizers said. The event encourages students to take a vow of silence and to hand out cards explaining how their silence highlights the bias that often silences lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender, or LGBT, students.

About 7,600 Arizona students, including Valley students from Phoenix, Chandler, Scottsdale, Ahwatukee, Mesa and Gilbert, plan to participate. About 30 students from Greenway High School in Phoenix plan to participate, said senior Felicia Armstrong.

I wish that I had known about this. As much as my students have been talking during class recently, I would have given them the pledge cards myself.

Just think of that. A whole day where I wouldn't have to constantly request that my 182 junior high school students cease their endless chatter while I try to present instruction.

A day of silence from my students would certainly raise my level of awareness.


It would be nirvana.

Other Commentary: Joanne Jacobs
---------------------------
For the latest edition of The Carnival of Education, along with entry instructions, please click here.

Main Page/Latest Post