Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Show And Tell

A 17 year old boy thought that it would be a good idea to bring a poisonous copperhead snake to school the other day. Predictably, nature ran it's course:
Kaitlin Chrobocinski, 14, was holding the copperhead when it bit her middle finger during a drama club gathering Friday in the school gym, a detective said.

Despite initial concerns about potential damage to her arm _ police initially said she could lose it _ Chrobocinski was released from a hospital Saturday. She has some swelling and pain in her arm, but is in good spirits, police said.

"She is at home recuperating and doing very well," Lower Pottsgrove Detective Michael Foltz said. "She feels bad that this whole thing had to happen."

He said at least two other students also handled the snake, which had been brought to St. Pius X High School in Pottstown by a 17-year-old male student who said he caught it in the Valley Forge area.

The snake was thrown outside afterward, and has not been found.

"My guess, with it being so cold down this way, that it's probably deep inside a hole somewhere warming up," Foltz said.

Authorities identified the snake from a photograph taken on a student's cell phone, which helped guide the treatment.
Thank goodness the young lady will fully recover.

There is no word on the condition of the snake.
Submissions for The Carnival Of Education are due by 9:00 PM (Pacific) tonight. Please send them to owlshome [at] earthlink [dot] net. See our latest posts here.