Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I'm It, You're It

I've been watching various members of the EduSphere play a fun little game of "tag" for the past few days. For many teachers, this is the perfect game for this time of year! But while I was looking the other way, Jenny D tagged me, (as she had been tagged by Ms. Frizzle) and so now I get to choose five questions and answer, then tag three other bloggers.

The questions:

If I could be a scientist...If I could be a farmer...If I could be a musician...If I could be a doctor...If I could be a painter...If I could be a gardener...If I could be a missionary...If I could be a chef...If I could be an architect...If I could be a linguist...If I could be a psychologist...If I could be a librarian...If I could be an athlete...If I could be a lawyer...If I could be an inn-keeper...If I could be a professor...If I could be a writer...If I could be a llama-rider...If I could be a bonnie pirate...If I could be an astronaut...If I could be a world famous blogger...If I could be a justice on any one court in the world...If I could be married to any current famous political figure...


My Answers:

If I could be a scientist, I would invent a time-machine that I could use to go back into the past and rescue the contents of the ancient Alexandrine Library from destruction at the hands of fanatics. That library was known to have at least one copy of every known classical work in the Greek, Latin, and Egyptian languages. So much ancient knowledge was lost. We have a total of only 43 Greek Dramas written by the masters. Sophocles alone is known to have written about 125 tragedies.

If I could be a farmer who owned his own land, I would grow corn and wheat as far as the eye can see. There is something that is soul-satisfying about the planting, nurturing, and harvesting, of a crop. A farmer occupies an almost mystical place in the way in which I view the world. They, and they alone, furnish the calories that drive our way of life. Civilization itself was made (and continues to be) possible due to their efforts. And the neat thing about raising a crop is that I would never have to listen to some lame excuse why the homework wasn't done nor sit through any useless faculty meetings.

If I could be a lawyer, I would like to travel back into time and defend the
Salem Witches at their trials. Many would argue that this was the most egregious miscarriage of justice in the history of American jurisprudence. I would like to win acquittals based on my strong belief that a person's religion (or lack thereof) is nobody's business except their own. On a professional note, can you imagine the challenge of defending the accused before judges who actually believed in witches?

If I could be a professor, I would like to be a professor of English Literature at a fine all-women's school such as Smith, Wellesley, or Mt. Holyoke. What a wonderful thing it would be to discuss the works of the great authors in an atmosphere conducive to scholarship! Beowulf, Bede, Chaucer, Marlowe, Shakespeare, Blake, Byron, Kipling, Owens, and Sassoon... it just boggles my imagination and makes my mouth water to think of the classroom conversation! (But sadly, the TeenWonk already wants to attend a coed school, so any benefits to be derived from discounts on her tuition would be purely hypothetical...)

If I could be an inn-keeper, I would like to be the owner and manager of a discrete five-star hotel on the Cote-de-Azur in the south of France. Just imagine all the fascinating people that I would meet! Their comings and their goings. Such an inn-keeper must invariably be a keeper of secrets as well as rooms.

Now the difficult part. Who to tag? There are so many folks out there in the EduSphere that I would like to hear from. But since I only get three choices, I tag:
Mz. Smlph, Kimberly at Number 2 Pencil, and Jennifer at Ramblin Educat.
--------------------------
An Invitation: All writers and readers of education-related posts are invited to contribute to the fifteenth edition of The Carnival of Education. Please send your submissions to: owlshome [at] earthlink [dot] net. We should receive your contributions no later than 10:00 PM (Pacific) TONIGHT. The Carnival midway will open here at the 'Wonks Wednesday morning. Get our easy-to-follow entry guidelines here. View the latest edition of the Carnival there.

Main Page/Latest Posts